Thursday, April 17, 2008

My original stereotypical generalizations, as to the definition of medieval, remain. However, this course has given me a deeper look into what civilization was like and who these people were. When I think of medieval, I still imagine knights fighting for honor, for country, and for God. While this course has solidified these beliefs, it has also shown me that knights were people capable of reading, writing, and loving. There is an emotional side to this time period that seems to be ignored when discussed. Everyone is a godless killing machine, and if not they are saints. However, by reading the literature we see the many dimensions of medieval people.
A saint is not always born. In Augustine’s case, he had to struggle. He did not know what to believe. He was human. This was a man who eventually became bishop, but throughout his childhood he struggled with morality and religion. Despite this, he was able to claim an extremely important title in the church.
To me medieval people were very similar to us. They suffered, struggled, loved, manipulated, and killed. They were human.

No comments: