Thursday, February 7, 2008

II.27 (pg139)
I chose this chapter of the book mainly for the surprised factor I came about. Under most periods where there'd be a King, I expected the King to be able to command others and not have people stand up to him. However, that was not the case here, as King Clovis had to ask permission for the ewer, and moreover, King Clovis did not immediately punish the man when the ewer was broken. I think this shows part of the structure where the King himself would still have to follow rules and orders, and cannot kill others without a 'reason'. The King has to be "fair" infront of the public.
He later on still discharges the man in a much smaller group setting, just like how he has killed Syagrius in secret; Or perhaps, when I read on further, I will find out if other Kings do the same.

No comments: